Please note: As the property owner, you are ultimately responsible to follow the law for obtaining the necessary permits and inspections for work done on your property, even if you hire a contractor. If the necessary permits are not obtained, the property owner, not the contractor, will be cited for the violation. Call our office if you have any questions about guidance you are receiving from a contractor that may conflict with the information provided here.
BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATIONS
DOWNLOAD: Building permit applications can be downloaded at the bottom of this page under the grey tab - Building Permit Applications and Information.
SUBMIT APPLICATION: Building Permit Applications may be submitted in the following ways:
- ONLINE* - NEW! - ROOF & SIDING ONLY
- Homeowners - Click here to apply if you are a Homeowner
- Contractors - Click here to appy if you are a Contractor
- BY MAIL: City of Mason, 201 W. Ash Street, Mason, MI 48854
- IN-PERSON: Place in the drop box in front of City Hall
Questions? Call Customer Service Desk Monday through Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. at 517-676-9155 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*We are currently testing the new online permitting system. We appreciate your patience as we work through the implementation of this service to better serve you.
Building Permit Fees are listed on page 5 of the Directory of Charges here.
CONSTRUCTION CODES IN EFFECT
The following construction codes are in effect for building permits in Mason:
- 2015 Michigan Building Code
- 2015 Michigan Residential Code
- 2015 Michigan Rehabilitation Code for Existing Buildings
- 2015 Michigan Uniform Energy Code
ELECTRICAL, PLUMBING, AND MECHANICAL PERMITS
Permits for electrical, plumbing, and mechanical (heating and cooling) projects are issued and administered through the State of Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Growth, Bureau of Construction Codes. The State of Michigan Permitting Divisions may be reached at the following numbers, or online here.
Electrical Division (517) 241-9334 Mechanical Division (517) 241-9325
Always call before you dig for projects big and small. It is the responsibility of the property owner to contact MISS DIG. Contact MISS DIG at least three (3) business days prior to excavating on your property. Visit www.missdig.org or call 811 or 1-800-482-7171.
A Soil Erosion permit or waiver from the Ingham County Drain Commission may be required building projects in order to satisfy our local ordinance on storm water and soil erosion. Submit a copy of the permit or waiver with your Building Permit Application to the City of Mason. Please note that waivers or permits are generally required when soil is being moved; deck and fence postholes are exempt. The Drain Commission can be reached at (517) 676-8395 or https://drain.ingham.org to find out more information on this requirement.
Click here for information about the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE) Asbestos NESHAP Program and requirements for asbestos removal and demolition projects.
Click here to visit Michigan Department of Health and Human Services or call 1-866-691-LEAD (1-866-691-5323) for more information.
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.
Documents sorted by SEQ in Ascending Order within category
BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATIONS AND INFORMATION15 documents
- Accessory Structures Fact Sheet
- Permit Brochure
- Property Owner Authorization
- DIY Property Owner Affidavit & Permit Policy
- Zoning Brochure
- BSA Online Permit Process - Contractor
- BSA Online Permit Process - Homeowner
- COMMERCIAL - Building Permit Packet
- DECK - Building Permit Packet
- DEMOLITION - Building Permit Packet
- FENCES - General Information
- POOL - Permit Information
- RESIDENTIAL - Building Permit Packet
- ROOF - Building Permit Packet
- SIGN - Permit Package