The City of Mason Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4)
The City of Mason is responsible for the Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4). The goal of the MS4 program is to reduce the discharge of pollutants to surface waters of the State. The Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) requires communities to comply with the State and Federal stormwater regulations by obtaining a National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit for stormwater. The City of Mason has developed a stormwater plan and is partnered with the Greater Lansing Regional Committee (GLRC). Working with other community members of the GLRC has been beneficial to all the communities involved, working together to achieve a common goal. The stormwater NPEDS requires that each community develop several different programs within their stormwater plan. Community members of the GLRC form committees that work together with the MDEQ on stormwater issues, NPEDS permit applications, and other required stormwater programs. Drafts of approved stormwater programs and NPDES permit applications are then shared with all the GLRC members to allow editing and implementation to their individual stormwater plans.

The City of Mason Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) consists of approximately 231,800 linear feet (43.9 miles) of concrete and plastic drainage pipes ranging from 6 inches to 42 inches in diameter, with some corrugated metal pipes up to 72 inches in diameter. The system has 1,026 stormwater catch basins that collect stormwater and debris from roadways, parking lots, building roofs, sump pumps, and some low-lying areas. Stormwater enters the system by gravity into catch basins. A catch basin is designed to have a bottom that is lower than the stormwater lines to allow for a settling of the solids and debris before the water continues its journey through a series of pipes. The collected stormwater flows into one of the three creeks flowing through the City of Mason, the Sycamore Creek, Willow Creek, or Rayner Drain.

Maintenance of the storm water system is divided between the City and the Ingham County Drain Commission.  The county has designated drains that flow through the City such as the Willow Creek and the Rayner Drain. The City of Mason is responsible for the stormwater entering the Sycamore Creek, Willow Creek, and Rayner Drain through its 58 stormwater City-owned outfalls locations. The stormwater NPDES permit requires that each outfall entering the Sycamore Creek be inspected and monitored for water quality during the permit cycle.

What You Can Do To Protect Your Water
What you can do to protect your water

  • The stormwater system drains directly into Sycamore Creek, Willow Creek, and Rayner Drain with no treatment, whatever enters the storm sewer system, enters theses bodies of water.
  • Check your sump pump and roof drain connections. Sump pumps and roof drains should NOT be connected to the Sanitary Sewer System. A sump pump’s discharge should flow into a storm sewer connection, a catch basin, a street curb, or on a grassy area in your lawn.
  • Keep storm sewer catch basins near your home cleared from trash, debris, sticks and leaves.
  • Wash your vehicles in a grassy area not in your driveway or street.
  • Do not dump anything onto the streets, your driveway, or in the catch basins.
  • Repair vehicle leaks. Any oil or antifreeze that is on the street, in the parking lot, or on your driveway is washed into the storm water system and goes directly to the receiving waters (Sycamore Creek).
  • Use lawn fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides sparingly.
  • Report any unauthorized dumping.
  • Dispose pet waste in the trash.
Water Cycle Glossary of Terms - here

City Runoff, Right vs Wrong

To learn more about the Greater Lansing Regional Committee (GLRC) visit www.mywatersheds or
Frequently Asked Questions about drainage in the City of Mason, may be found: here
(under 'My neighbor has redirected water from their property onto mine, can the City require that the water flow be changed? ')

<> </>

What is Stormwater Runoff?

What is an illicit discharge?

Where can I dispose of Household Hazardous Waste?

Tips for Pollution Prevention

Social Media Campaigns

City of Mason Documents: Progress Reports, Permits

Stormwater Management Plan (SWMP)